Monday 20 October 2014

Chinese Five Spice Chicken Noodle Soup

I am really excited about this Chicken Noodle Soup as this is my first ever post for the "Secret Recipe Club." How does this club work? This is a very large group of food bloggers who are each secretly assigned to another members blog every month. The last is to pick something from the assigned blog, cook, shoot, and blog about the recipe.



I was so excited to receive my first assignment. I was given the blog Eliot's Eats, which was very exciting as this was a completely new page to me. The writters of Eliot's Eats are a middle aged couple who love food, travel, and adventure. Debra, who works as an administrator at a public high school, writes the posts while her husband, who works in technology, provides lots of ideas and support.


You all know that I have a pretty big sweet tooth, so I tried so so hard to go by all the delicious sweets on Debras page to find a delicious savory dish. I managed to achieve this and I was rewarded with this wonderfully flavorful Chinese Five Spice Chicken Noodle Soup.

Don't forget to check out the original recipe too!

Chinese Five Spice Chicken Noodle Soup


Makes four generous servings.

220 g (8 oz) Pad Thai Noodles
6 Cups organic chicken stock
3 Spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced
2 Tbsp ginger
1 Tbsp Chinese 5 spice
3 Tbsp lime juice
1/4 Cup fish sauce
2 Tbsp honey
2 Cups shredded chicken

Toppings:

1 C slivered fresh basil, preferably Thai
1 lime, cut in wedges
1 jalapeƱo, thinly sliced 
Garlic chives
1. Soak and cook noodles according to package directions.
2. Combine the broth, shallots, ginger and five-spice powder in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, fish sauce and honey.  Pour the sauce into the simmering broth and stir in the chicken to heat through. Add the noodles to the broth to heat for about 5 seconds.
4. Ladle the soup into bowls.  Garnish as desired with condiments.


Check out the other recipes from this months Secret Recipe Club at the links below


16 comments:

  1. I love how many spices you put in this, not just your average soup anymore :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of this soup. It sounds so good for the winter. I will have to make this in the next couple weeks. Very great SRC post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got EE this month. Thanks for the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love noodle recipes!! These sound great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great flavors in this Chinese chicken noodle soup - perfect for warming up Fall and Winter lunchtime meals. Welcome to SRC (I'm visiting from Group B)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, does this sound amazing. I'm a huge fan of soups with an Asian flare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another wonderful Asian-inspired dish which I can't wait to try! Your soup looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this gorgeous Chinese Soup!
    would happily down a bowl right here and now :P
    thanks for the recipe!

    Bec {Daisy and the Fox}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm this sounds delicious! I need to add more Asian recipes to my repertoire! Welcome to SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to SRC!! Lots of fun here. This looks delicious. Love Asian and 5 Spice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hadia's Lebanese Cuisine24 October 2014 at 13:08

    This sounds so good Nicole. I bet the addition of lime, honey and soy sauce together gave the soup a further depth!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm, I love Chinese 5 spice, but haven't tried it in a soup before, will need to give this a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love Chinese soups, this sounds so easy to make. Great for our cool fall weather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks awesome I love all soups but Asian broth types are some of my faves!!! I am not very intrigued about this secret recipe club...do tell :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! It looks so delicious and I love trying new soups! I am thrilled that you linked it up with us at Foodie Fridays this past week and I am featuring it at this week's party! Pinning, stumbling and sharing as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds like it will cure anything ~ yum!

    ReplyDelete